Thursday, July 28, 2011

Jesus Take the Wheel!

I just loved that story I posted yesterday so much I wish I had written it.  I got a good laugh out of it, and I also thought there was some truth to the story.  The "big secret" thing that women supposedly want is to be in control of their own life, but I am not sure this is 100% accurate.

As for myself, I for sure want to have a voice in whatever is going on when it happens to affect me.  And as long as I know I am being heard, I can pretty much 'roll with the punches,' even if I am in disagreement with what is going on.

For me the essential issue is trust rather than control.

You see if I am in a vehicle with someone I trust completely, then I am at ease and enjoying the ride even if the person is taking me somewhere they are choosing, or taking a different route than I usually take.  Life is like that.  If I am going to take the passenger seat, I absolutely have to trust the one who is in control of the vehicle.  I don't have to BE in control, but I have to have full confidence in the person who is driving.  Are they qualified, skilled, and sober?  In other words, is the driver willing and capable of operating that vehicle so that I am safe?

Furthermore, it is important to me that I am in a vehicle that is headed in the direction that I want to go.  If you want to be in Houston, you don't get in a bus that is heading off for Phoenix, right?  When we get into the vehicle of life with our spouse, we have to be in agreement about what direction we are heading and what our destination is.  When you travel life together, it helps to have the same goals, vision and purpose.  Then you could take turns driving because there is agreement on the general direction you're going.  Route doesn't matter as much as the destination you're aiming for.

There is no human driver we can trust completely.  I remember going on a road trip with my daughter a couple of summers ago.  I was playing DJ with her ipod and chose a song that was the incorrect remix -- she nearly drove us into the ditch!  Another time I was on a different trip with a girlfriend, I was driving.  She had her hand out the window as we were headed onto the freeway when I decided to do up the windows.  Her fingers were caught between the window and the frame and the automatic window just kept that pressure on!  Once when I was a little girl, my father drove our vehicle into a ditch to avoid a head-on collision with a truck that was passing another vehicle coming towards us.  All of these things were a bit scary, but in each case, the trust either remained in tact or was quickly restored.

There is only one Driver we can trust in all situations, as Carrie Underwood sings, "Jesus take the wheel!"  He is the One and Only who alway has our best interest in mind.  No matter what detour we happen to be on, we can trust that it is the best possible route to where He is taking us.  No matter how many times we seem to be circling the block, or spinning our wheels, it is all for His purpose.  Even if the destination seems to be getting further away, we can trust that He is in full control, and that everything that happens will be for our ultimate good, and His ultimate glory.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, 
who have been called according to his purpose.  
For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son..."
Romans 8:28-29

Readers, I am so glad that I know I can trust Jesus.  He has shown me time and time again that He knows what He is asking me to do, and it is always for my good and His glory.  I didn't know I could trust Jesus, until I chose to trust Him.  He is trustworthy, and I had to choose to believe that by faith.  

Do you trust Him today?  Can you let Him have the control, and be at ease knowing He will get you exactly where you need to be, precisely on time?  He not only knows the way, He IS The Way!  I pray you will choose to trust him with your journey today!

Love Darilyn

No comments: