Friday, July 16, 2010

Kate and Leopold -- Jesus Transcends Time

Jesus was described in great detail centuries before his birth.

But He was pierced for our transgressions,

he was crushed for our iniquities;

the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,

and by his wounds we are healed.

Isaiah 53:5

This passage accurately describes the way that Jesus would die. Also a passage accurately predicts the unique circumstances of Christ’s birth:

Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign:

The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son,

and will call him Immanuel.

Isaiah 7:14

Scripture also foreshadowed how Jesus would teach:

I will open my mouth in parables,

I will utter hidden things, things from of old.”

Psalm 78:2

Even the reaction of the disciples upon the death of Christ is foretold:

Strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered,

Zechariah 13:7

How could all these details (and many more) be accurately predicted?

Because Jesus himself was right there predicting it.

An example we could better relate to would be if I wrote down, “Darilyn went to the kitchen and got a drink.” I would then be able to then go and do exactly what I said I would do. I could even describe in advance the size and color of the glass I was going to use, and exactly what, and how much I would have to drink. I could specify in advance whether I would get water from the tap or from a bottle, or from a water cooler. I would be able to make the prophecy come true because I am the one who writing it while knowing all the variables in advance.

How?

Because I’ve already been to my kitchen. I am the one who has purchased the water bottles, and placed them in the fridge. I am the one who selected water glasses and put them into the cupboard. Therefore, I could “predict” with amazing accuracy exactly what would happen when I go to get a drink.

Obviously, me going to the kitchen for a drink is only a silly example. But, consider the Bible prophecies that describe a myriad of facts about Jesus and his life in astonishing detail were written centuries before his birth.

Clearly, these fulfilled prophecies prove Jesus transcends time.



No comments: