Monday, January 11, 2010

The Hunt for a Perfect Man


Let’s face it. It is pretty hard to find a man who can measure up to our movie heroes. And it is not their fault. Our big-screen stars have a team of writers putting eloquent words in their mouths – of course they always say the right thing! They have a team of make-up artists, personal trainers, and entire wardrobe departments making them look good. Furthermore, whenever the going gets tough the director yells, “Cut!” and sends in a stunt double. No wonder, mortal men pale in comparison to these larger-than-life heroes.

Even though we know these characters are fictional, we really do yearn for our very own leading man to love us with the same kind of passionate, unconditional love we see on the screen. We long to hear his magic words of reassurance, and feel the certainty of his loyalty. We want to trust in the unwavering strength of his commitment to us. We so deeply need to know that our very own flesh-and-blood man can forgive us all our shortcomings – not because he doesn’t know about them – but, in spite of the fact that he does. With all our warts and wrinkles, he loves us anyways.

We want to be able to look up to our man, trusting him completely with our true self, our future and our children. We want him to be strong enough to save us from certain danger, but sensitive enough to listen to us in our hour of need. We want him to always be there for us, even when we can’t guarantee we’ll be there for him.
I have to admit that my expectations for a man are sort of . . . unrealistic.

That is the problem: No matter how wonderful our real-life man is, he will never, ever measure up to the big screen heroes. And the reality of that is kind of sad.
That was exactly the sadness I was experiencing after watching Titanic, I couldn’t stop crying because I realized that if I ever found a real-life husband, he would never, could never love me perfectly, the way I perceived Jack loved Rose.

But, thank God that I learned the Surprising Truth. Next post, I will begin sharing exactly what I learned about Jesus from the movie: What Women Want.

Readers:
How would you define 'What Women Want'?

No comments: