Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Princess Bride -- "Does God Still Do Miracles?"

In Dr. Brad Burke’s book, Does God Still Do Miracles? he addresses the question of “miraculous” recoveries in medicine. He takes great pains to explain that often, when someone recovers against the odds, there are reasons outside of the claim, “It’s a miracle!” There are documented cases of what Dr. Burke classifies as ‘real’ miracles, but these other somewhat unexpected recoveries are ‘routine.’
In this writer’s opinion, I think it is better to credit God as being the Author of every good thing.

For example, I went in for laser eye surgery. Is it not a gift from God that this technology exists? Is it not a gift from God that all the equipment was working to precision on the day that I went in? Is it not a gift from God that I was considered a good candidate for the procedure?

It was a gift from God: my results exceeded the best of what the doctors hoped for. It was a gift from God that my eyes healed perfectly without any infection or extra dead cells forming cloudiness between the layers of my cornea. And, it was a miracle that I could afford the procedure at all!

Praise God – when I consider all the factors that had to come together to make this radical, positive life-change for me I am confident that God worked a miracle in my life. Dr. Burke would likely consider my results 'routine,' whereas I gladly give God all the credit. After all, is it possible to give Him too much credit? I think not.

Nevertheless, in this fairy tale, Inigo and Fessik actually get the miracle they paid for, and Westley – through the intervention of Miracle Max – is restored to life.

Aside from big chocolate pills and laser-eye surgery, the biggest miracle that ever occurred in the history of this world was that Jesus rose from the dead. He did not need a big chocolate pill, and there was no way that He was only ‘mostly dead’. He predicted his own resurrection (John 12:32), and demonstrated in advance his power to raise from the dead (John 11:25).

More on this in my next post... Stay tuned!

No comments: