Monday, May 31, 2010

My Big Fat Greek Wedding -- We Need to Be Seen


I remember a period of time when I really needed to be seen. I was working hard at my full time teaching job, and at home, struggling to keep the house in order and running smoothly.

Bills to pay, grass to mow, and growing children to clothe, it was an overwhelming responsibility to handle all on my own.

One thing I would not compromise was a weekly Family Night when, no matter what the pressures were during the week, I would set everything aside to have a fun evening with my kids.

In addition, I was working on my writing every spare moment I could. I was exhausted and discouraged. I felt like nobody saw, much less appreciated, everything I was doing.

I prayed about feeling all my efforts were invisible. I brought my need to be seen to the Lord. I needed to be noticed, maybe even commended for the seemingly endless list of tasks I was doing to meet the needs of my students, my school, my children, and my household.

I had been surviving on:

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart,
as working for the Lord, not for men.
Colossians 3:23

This had helped me immensely, but now I needed a fresh word from the Lord to sustain me. I opened my Bible and found myself reading in Revelation.

I just about fell off my chair when I read:

I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance.
and
I know your deeds, your love and faith, your service and perseverance,
and that you are now doing more than you did at first.
Revelation 2:2 and 19

That was an epiphany moment for me with Jesus. I rejoiced that He could see me. He knew all the things I did, big and little. He saw the effort I put into my lessons and unit plans. He saw the lengths I went to in order to be a blessing to my kids.

Just when I was feeling like all of it went unnoticed; I learned anew that He sees!

No comments: