Friday, April 1, 2011

What would you do if you were Limitless?

That question is the tagline for the hot new movie, Limitless.


The story centres around a man who gets his hands on a clear, colourless pill called NZT that allows him to use 100% of his brain instead of just the 10% we all supposedly use.

This pill makes him think clearly, very clearly, and somehow boosts his motivation to get things done.  He starts out as a wanna-be writer with terminal writer's block, but he is able to finish his book within 4 days, once on NZT.


He can learn new languages with little to no effort.  He has instant recall of everything he has ever seen or heard and can combine pieces of information to understand everything in a new way.

The phrase that came to my mind as I was watching was, "Artfully integrates ideas into a cohesive whole." which is one of the descriptors for an Above Level answer for the English Language Arts standards exams.  At that moment, I thought I'd like to get my hands on some NZT for all my students for when they have to write those exams.

Then I thought, oh how I'd love some for myself!  I would finish writing my novel, and the three non-fiction books I've started (and abandoned).  I would be able to create new Bible studies, and speak as eloquently as Beth Moore!  I would figure out a way to understand my husband.  Wait a minute!  Not only would I be giving myself the pill, I would make sure my husband got some too.  (Amen, ladies?)

Of course, the pill in the movie is illegal, and deadly.  So there is a strong message here about the dangers of becoming addicted to a substance.  Still.  I wanted some.

It wasn't long before I noticed the strong correlation between NZT and the Holy Spirit.  Now, calm down folks -- only the positive benefits of NZT align with the Holy Spirit:  The Bible says that the HS will lead us into all truth.  It also says that when we are at a loss for words, the HS will give us the words to say.  Some believe that the HS will cause us to speak in other tongues.  The HS is what allows us to see truths in scripture that an unrenewed mind cannot see.  The HS interprets situations for us and gives us wisdom, discernment, courage, confidence, and power.

Interesting.  And therein is the problem, I think.  Christianity is not a pill you take to relieve all your problems.  Becoming a believer will not make everything suddenly go your way.  Your decision to accept Christ as your saviour will not make you rich, or save you from calamity.  Unfortunately, too many people and pastors try to "sell" Christianity as a solution to their problems.  No wonder folks get disillusioned and fall away.

It's not about you.  (Thanks to Rick Warren who pointed that out to over 30 million readers of Purpose Driven Life.)  It's about Him.

The Holy Spirit doesn't enable you to "do all things" so that you are glorified.  It is so that Christ is glorified in you.

Lord Jesus, above all I pray that you are glorified in my life.  Through the trials and tribulations I am experiencing in my personal life, I pray that you will strengthen me through my inmost being.  I pray that I will be rooted and established firmly in your love, so that when troubles come my way, I will want nothing more than for all of it to be used for your ultimate glory.  Father, I pray that you will have your way with me.  I pray that my desires line up with your desires.  I pray that my will is constantly surrendered to yours.  And I pray that my priorities will always be a reflection of your priorities for my life.  I pray also that you will use every circumstance in my life to conform me more and more into the image of Your Son.  And I pray that my readers will be blessed abundantly by this blog post, Amen.

Readers, I love and value you.  Feel free to share this post on Facebook or elsewhere.  Please include my blog address.  :)

Love, Darilyn

No comments: