Saturday, May 28, 2011

Three Days to be... Limitless

I recently showed my Bible class the film, "The Miracle Worker," and afterwards gave them an essay written by Helen Keller titled, "Three Days to See."  The essay described what Helen would do if she were given three days to see.  I assigned my class to write about what they would like to do for three days if they were given an ability they do not currently have.

I often give great thought to what I would do for my own assignments, and for this one I would write about what I would do if I could be Limitless, like in the movie of the same name (which I blogged about previously).

If I were truly Limitless, then that would mean that I could travel at the speed of thought.  If you know me personally, then you know that I really enjoy travelling.  So I would spend the first day travelling the world.  Since I would be travelling by the power of thought, at the speed of thought, there would be no need to buy a ticket or stand in security line-ups at the airports!  So I would have time to see each of the Seven Wonders of the World.


Since being Limitless would also mean I would not need to sleep, I would have time to travel to the top 20 Natural Wonders of the World, like Ayers Rock in Australia, and to the top of Mt. Everest.

Next, I would speed around the world touring the most expansive buildings in the world.  This would take me to Dubai and a number of other exotic places!  I would want to take in the world's most noteworthy art galleries and museums.

After spending the first 24 hours travelling extensively, the second day of being Limitless would be devoted to learning.  I picture it working something like the downloading of information we saw in The Matrix.

I would want to speed-learn all the main languages of the world so that I could read, speak and understand them each fluently.  I would want to commit the entire Holy Bible to memory so that I had it on instant-recall at all times for the rest of my life.  I would also want to read every work of classic literature.  Also, if I had a Limitless capacity for learning, I would definitely want a working knowledge of global politics, economics and commerce.  I would learn enough to acquire a doctorate in psychology, communications, and theology.  Another area of learning I would like to venture into is music.  I would like to be able to play any instrument, and compose music in every genre.  And I would like to learn how to paint.  Oil, acrylic, and watercolours.  Might as well learn everything there is to know about photography as well.

And yet knowledge without love is meaningless.  What good would all that knowledge do unless I applied it to make the world a better place?  And so my final day of being Limitless would be devoted to loving and giving to others.

Now, how does one love and give to the whole world?  Well, God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son so that all who believe in him should not perish but have eternal life.  That's a pretty tough act to follow!  But, since God IS love, what I could do is share Him with others.  This would have to be done on a grand scale, but, because I would be Limitless, I could probably arrange a press conference that would be broadcast live over the entire globe.  Of course, being able to speak in all those languages would come in handy.

If I could clearly communicate to everyone how wide and high and long and deep is the love of God for them, then they would certainly respond to Him by loving Him back!  We would all love the Lord our God with all our heart, all our soul, all our mind, and all our strength.  Then, I would certainly need each of those doctorates to be able to teach the world to love one another as Christ loves us.  If I could convince the world, and everyone in it, to love their neighbour as themselves, then world hunger and global warming would be halted in a single day, a single hour.  Wars would cease.  The world would be a better place.

That would be three days well spent, don't you think?  And then I would have a nice long, blissful sleep.

Dearest Readers, this is the deepest desire of my heart -- that the world would know the love God has for them.  I will never be Limitless.  I will continue to travel when circumstances allow, and I will continue working towards my Masters of Communication.  And I am doing my best to pass long the love of God to everyone I can.  But I can't reach the whole world by myself.  Will you help me?  Will you share the love of God today?  Please?

Love, Darilyn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very well said.

Kristin