Friday, October 15, 2010

Secret of Contentment Part II

If we already have something we consider a need, and we lose it, then we might be tempted to resent God for not letting us keep the thing we believe we need. Imagine losing your job, your home, ½ million dollars in the stock market, or your husband leaving you.


These things are trials I hope nobody reading this blog has ever had to, or will ever have to, face. But I am not naïve. I know that many of us have faced these very things. Readers, please hear me when I say I do not want to belittle the pain of your loss in any way with what I am going to say next.


No matter what you’ve lost, whether it was a possession, position, or a person, it was not something you need more than you need Jesus.


My friend, I know loss, and I know pain. And I have also come to know the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ and being found in Him. Like Paul, I have come to see that:


whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ.

What is more, I consider everything a loss

compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord,

for whose sake I have lost all things.”

Philippians 3:7-8.


Let us consider what Paul had lost: career, family, prestige, power, freedom, and ultimately his very life. And for what?


that I may gain Christ and be found in him, . . .

having a righteousness that comes from God.”

Philippians 3:8-9


Was this a fair exchange in Paul’s opinion? Absolutely! Check out what else he writes:


For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.”

Romans 14:8


Oh beloved reader, I pray you will grab hold of Jesus with that kind of no-second-thoughts passion! It is then we truly realize that Jesus is all we will ever need. Once we really, truly acknowledge that in our heart of hearts, then and only then are we free to receive His richest blessings.


Let us now acknowledge that when the chips are down and we are facing eternity it is not our money or possessions or reputation or prestige, or even family members we will need most. It is Jesus only!


Until next time, readers, know that I am thanking God for you! :)




No comments: