Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Secret of Contentment Part VII


If you catch yourself looking at clothes, furniture, property, or anything you know you can’t afford, shouldn't afford, or just can’t have right now (example: engagement rings, wedding dresses), stop looking at it!


We have been talking about how keeping your physical eyes pure is an important part in discovering the secret to contentment.


Finding it difficult? How I can relate! You don't have to suffer alone. God does not expect you to be a pillar of strength! In fact, He expects you to ask Him for help in this and every area of your life.


You can pray as the Psalmist did,


“Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word.”

Psalm 119:37.


He will answer, He is faithful. You can count on Him for this too.


Matthew 9: 27-30 relays the following account:


“As Jesus went on from there, two blind men followed him, calling out, "Have mercy on us, Son of David!" When he had gone indoors, the blind men came to him, and he asked them, "Do you believe that I am able to do this?" "Yes, Lord," they replied. Then he touched their eyes and said, "According to your faith will it be done to you"; and their sight was restored.”


Have you been having difficulty with your physical eyes? Jesus can restore your sight. He can help you purify your eyes. Ask Him in faith. He will answer.


One of the things I have done to help myself overcome my tendency toward materialism (a euphemism for idolatry) is to stop looking at every flyer and catalogue that finds its way into my mailbox. Advertising is designed to make you think you need something that you didn’t know you needed. I throw flyers and advertisements into the recycling bin as soon as I take them out of my mailbox. I invite you to join me in this, and tell me if it makes a difference in your level of contentment.


Malls are full of displays and posters designed to make you think you need all the various items that are being shamelessly merchandised. I do not go to the mall to kill time or to socialize with my friends. I usually shop with a list, and I shop from the list.


Even then, as you know from the beginning of this series, I sometimes see something I like very much. First my physical eyes see it. Even after I have left the store, I still “see” it in my mind’s eye.


Getting control of our mind's eye is what we will be talking about next.


I hope you are enjoying this series, readers. Most of all I pray that it is making a difference in your life.


Blessings! Stay tuned!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so true.. you have suchs great messages!
Amber Bergen