Sunday, January 9, 2011

How to Train Your Dragon Part 4


If this movie depicts NOT a relationship between a boy and a dragon, but instead reveals the formula for a successful marriage, then something I learned from it is:

Be patient!

Hiccup is the one who wants to move the relationship with Toothless forward.  He is the one that each one of us needs to identify with.  I am writing this for you -- the reader -- whether you are the husband OR the wife, you need to be the Hiccup in your relationship.

You can apply the principles that we learn from Hiccup and you can make a difference in your marriage.  Trust me.  I've been applying these lessons to my own marriage, and they have made a huge difference.

When Hiccup wants to touch Toothless, the dragon doesn't let him, at first.  But Hiccup is very patient.  First he just allows Toothless time to become accustomed to his presence.  He allows the dragon all the time he needs to feel comfortable with his nearness.  He just sits nearby.  Patiently.

Sometimes, the simplest things are what is needed.  My husband really appreciates it if I just sit with him while he is watching TV.  He loves having me beside him for a drive, and especially at church.  As for me, I like conversation -- the more involved the better.  But sometimes what is needed is the shoulder-to-shoulder togetherness that he craves so that the conversation that I need can happen.

I need to take a lesson from Hiccup -- don't force it.  Give it time.  Wait until my dragon is ready to talk.  I am ready to talk, always.  But I need to be patient.  I need to let my dragon take the time he needs to open up.  

Giving your dragon the time and space that he needs is a form of respect.  Respect is man-speak for the most highly valued love-commodity.  Women also need to be respected and allowing them the time and space they need is important too.  Gentlemen, you know what you are usually in a hurry for -- give her the time she needs to warm up to you.  Trust me.  It will pay off!  ;)

Finally Hiccup reaches out towards Toothless, then averts his eyes and bows his head and waits.  His patience pays off when the dragon leans in towards Hiccups extended hand.  The scene reminds me of Hitch's first kiss advice: "Lean in 90% of the way and then wait -- let her come to you."

We all can take a lesson from Hiccup -- Be Patient!

I am praying for you.

Love,

Darilyn


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very true Darilyn and great analogy! I think when we're dating we have that time and space that we all so often need. It's much more difficult in a marriage to respect when to give that time and when to ask for it as well. You're right about being patient. As my husband has said, "sometimes just let me be on my own, and I'll always come back more willing to talk than before". =)It does take an effort to be patient but it's always worth it.

Anonymous said...

You are so right Darilyn. Husbands appreciate just having their wife sitting with them while watching TV, going for a drive and especially at church. Unfortunately we husbands do not tell our wives these things at all or often enough!