Thursday, January 6, 2011

How to Train Your Dragon Part 3



If this movie is not about a boy and a dragon, but is instead about a husband and wife (or a wife and a husband) then here is what I learned:

3. Set your Dragon Free:

As I watched Hiccup's feelings change from fear to triumph then from compassion to remorse, and witnessed him cutting the ropes that bound the dragon, I couldn't help but wonder what ropes are holding my dragon captive?

When Hiccup first saw the might Night Fury tangled up in the ropes that were launched from his contraption, he was in awe of what his own actions had wrought.  "I did this," he murmured in a tone of shock and reverence.

I wonder if there have been things I've said or done that have brought my dragon down, helpless and wounded.  I don't have to wonder.  I know my words have gone out like that rope-net that snatched the Night Fury out of the sky.  And I know that perhaps some of them still hold my dragon captive.

Like Hiccup, I recognize the damage my actions have caused, and I am remorseful.  I want to set my dragon free.  And so it is up to me to cut those ropes: to apologize, to reverse my actions, to make right whatever I have made wrong in the first place.

Unfortunately, after Hiccup cut the ropes, the dragon still couldn't get away.  Not completely.  Its tail had been damaged in the fall, and it could not fly out of the pit it had found itself in.

Is your dragon stuck in a pit?  It could be a pit of depression, a financial pit, a pit of shame, a habit, or even a dead end job.  What can you do to help your dragon up out of their pit?  How can you work together to set and achieve goals that will take you both to a greater height?


You want your dragon to be free because of the marriage -- 
not feeling desperate to be free from the marriage.

For a long time I wanted to return to higher education to pursue a Master's Degree.  Unfortunately, I just could not make that happen for one reason or another for many years.  Now, because of my marriage, I am able to work on my degree.  I am earning a Masters of Arts in Communication from Spring Arbor University.  The pit I was stuck in was one of disappointment, and regret because I never had the chance to really apply myself towards higher learning.  Now I can.  With my husband's help.

Oneness is God's goal for marriage.  Can you and your dragon fly as one?  Before Hiccup and Toothless could fly as one, it took many attempts and adjustments to the artificial tail fin that Hiccup made for Toothless.  They both had lots of learning to do, and trust to build together.

What heights could you soar to with your dragon?  What can you do to help your dragon reach their potential?  What can you do for your dragon to help them overcome their deficiencies?

Readers -- thanks for reading.  If you find this at all helpful, please let me know.  I am praying for you and for your marriages.  I love you and Jesus loves you even more!  May God richly bless you this New Year!

Love Darilyn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your words are so true! I also recognize the damage my actions have caused and I am remorseful! I could also soar higher with the help of my dragon. I pray that your writing will continue to touch hearts and lives. Keep up your writing!