Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Reflection on Conference March 19-21, 2010

This past weekend, I had the privilege of ministering to some lovely ladies from southern Manitoba. We spent the weekend, from Friday night to Sunday morning, together at a local camp facility. I was so honored to be the guest speaker for their annual retreat.

The theme was "A Blockbuster Weekend" since I was going to share what else, the character of Jesus as seen in popular movie heroes. These ladies may not have known it, but they had a divine appointment with the Lord!

The committee had made movie clapboard signs for every door in the dorm with the names of the ladies to be in each room. They even had a game to play in which you had to guess the movie character taped to your back. What a great time we had getting to know one another and enjoying the lighter side of chick flick trivia!

I shared the mission statement of Tried and True ministries and 1 Corinthians 9:22, the cornerstone verse of my ministry. I explained how I view my ministry as one of reconciliation reflected in 2 Corinthians 5:11-21 which I paraphrased:

The (Tried and True) Ministry of Reconciliation

  • Since I know what it is to fear the Lord, I try to persuade others. What I am is plain to God. I am not trying to commend myself to you, but I am giving you an opportunity to see what I see, so that you can answer those who judge by what is seen rather than in what is in the heart. If I am out of my mind, it is for the sake of God; if I am in my right mind, it is for you. For Christ's love compels me, because I am convinced that Jesus died for me, and for each of you. Those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.
  • Therefore, since we are in Christ, we are a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! My whole ministry is from God, who reconciled me to himself through Christ and gave me this ministry of reconciliation. I am, therefore, Christ's ambassador, because God is making his appeal through me. I implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God. God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

It was a phenomenal weekend.

Friday night after I introduced the premise of the "Blockbuster weekend" we watched Kate and Leopold, just for fun.

Saturday morning's session was based on the movie, "The Princess Bride" specifically, we took a walk through the Fire Swamp of Life. I outlined survival tips for making it through with Jesus as our Protector and Guide.

Saturday evening we discussed "What Women Want." I humbly suggested several reasons why women are drawn to chick flicks, including that we may be looking for the Perfect Man. Then I suggested that Jesus is that Perfect Man.

On Sunday morning, we explored the various ways that Leopold reflects the character of Jesus. The pivotal question of that movie was, "Are you for real?" That was the question Kate had to answer for herself about Leopold. And when she knew he was really for real, she took a leap of faith.

That morning, many women answered for themselves the very same question about Jesus. They knew that they knew that Jesus is for real, and they took a leap of faith. Some accepted Him as their savior for the first time, many rededicated their lives to Jesus, and most of the women in the room decided they needed to increase the role they have been allowing Jesus to play in their life.

Yes, it was an amazing weekend.

Readers, if you would like me to speak at your church or event, let me know. May God richly bless you!!

No comments: