Wednesday, March 3, 2010

You've Got Mail -- He Pursues with the Written Word



Joe Fox conducts a relationship with Kathleen Kelly, for a period of time, exclusively through the written word. He shares his innermost thoughts with her, his insights, observations, and ideas.

She offers her reflections as well. She asks him questions, and seeks his advice. He faithfully answers her every correspondence with his written word. Many people do not understand how someone can have a relationship with someone they can’t see or hear. This movie beautifully depicts how that is possible.

Jesus communicates with us through His written word, the Bible. It contains the most poetic love letters ever written – from Him to you. It contains advice for living, for succeeding in business and in relationships. It contains encouragement to help you through any difficulty you may be going through.

But – you may wonder – how is it relevant today when it was written 2000 years ago?

I once wondered the very same thing. God promises that His Word is living and active. I decided to believe that promise, and try to experience it for myself. Sure enough, I have found, in many situations, the Bible contains the exact words of encouragement or advice I need at exactly the right time. God's promise was true! (That is how my ministry got the name: Tried and True!)

After learning about evolution in school, I always worried that I was here by accident. Perhaps I was some anomaly that should never have happened. What didn’t help matters any was the fact that I experienced serious rejection while I was growing up. This left deep emotional scars in my heart and in my mind. Just as Kathleen took her concerns to “NY152” and expected answers, I took my hurts to God and looked for His Answer to my specific need.

What I found was the most profound, life-altering encouragement that I could have imagined:

For he chose us in him
before the creation of the world . . .”
Ephesians 1:4

This meant to me that I was not an accident! Others may have been surprised at my arrival, or viewed my birth as “news,” but my heavenly Father planned me from the beginning. Thankfully I discovered the truth: I was created on purpose for the pleasure of my Creator. Words can hardly express how that personal message from God penetrated my heart and changed my life.

And there was more encouragement:

Can a mother forget the baby at her breast
and have no compassion on the child she has borne?
Though she may forget, I will not forget you!”
Isaiah 49:15
His word testified to me that my heavenly Father loves me more than any earthly parent could ever love their child. This was profoundly more powerful as I held my newborn daughter in my arms and contemplated it. I was wanted by God even more powerfully than I wanted my daughter. And I wanted her! Loved her! Cherished her! More than I ever imagined one human being could love another.

Knowing He would never reject me or forget me was life-changing. Knowing that I was here on purpose, His purpose, set me free from feelings of insignificance.

Similar to how Kathleen communicated with NY152 with the written word, I keep a handwritten prayer journal in a simple coil-bound notebook. I pour out my hopes, dreams, fears, and concerns, and I ask for His word in answer to my every situation. When I ‘receive’ his answer, I record that too, marking the margin with special symbols so I can look back on all His answers any time I need to. It serves as a rudimentary inbox where I save His communication to me.
Readers: How do you communicate with the Lord?

No comments: