Monday, March 22, 2010

You've Got Mail -- All is Well that Ends Well??


Is it just me, or have you also noticed that Kathleen Kelly wouldn’t have been out of business if it weren’t for Fox Books? I want to emphasize here that if it had been up to Kathleen, she would have held on to her little book store for the rest of her life. And that would have been fine.

But “fine” is not what Jesus has in mind for us. Just as Joe Fox was the one who caused her to go out of business, he was also the one who got her going in a new direction. He got her interested in writing books for children. Imagine how much larger her circle of influence will become as a writer rather than a bookstore owner. And yet she felt like her life was over when her store went out of business.

Sometimes the Lord has to take the thing we have held so tightly in our hands out of our grip – and we don’t like it. We don’t understand at the time that God is clearing the way for something better to come into our lives. Are we willing to surrender the thing we are clinging to the most so that God can ‘do a new thing’?

Maybe you have experienced some type of deep loss. Maybe you are still angry about it. Jesus understands any hostility that may be in your heart. Some of it may even be directed at Him. Perhaps life has just not turned out the way you hoped. And, as logic follows, if He is really God – a God of love – then why didn’t He step in and fix whatever it was? Because He is doing a new thing!

Readers, I encourage you to rest in the knowledge that He knows exactly what He is doing.

For I know the plans I have for you . . .
plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future.”
Jeremiah 29:11

With these word of hope firmly established in your heart, you will be able to stand firm and not allow fear to overtake you. You will have the courage to handle anything, even a disaster of Titanic proportions.

Readers, I have suffered losses in my life, and many times it just didn't make sense to me. I have chosen to trust in God's character rather than allow my faith to falter because circumstances did not turn out the way I wanted. It wasn't easy, but it is the only way to come through the storm or trial stronger in your faith than before.

Have you suffered any losses recently? Has any of what I have written been a help to you?

No comments: