Monday, March 29, 2010

Voices of Winnipeg Holocaust Survivors


Readers, I just wanted to share with you that the book that I helped edit is being launched on April 15. I, as a 'contributor,' have been invited to the event. I am so humbled, and so excited. I hardly had a hand in it at all, and yet I get to take part in the event!

The books will be on sale that night, and the cost is $36. They will be signed by the amazing folks who actually contributed (not me, a mere proofreader).

It is rather poignant timing as I just completed studying the last of The Five Scrolls, The Megillah -- the story of the origins of the feast of Purim. This celebration came about because there was a man who attempted to kill, destroy, and annihilate all the Jewish people living in Persia at the time of king Xerxes. At that time in their history, they were able to thwart their enemies.

Unfortunately, in the late 1930's and early 1940's the attempt at genocide was all too successful!! But praise God, a remnant survived! God's promised are good. The Jewish nation is the apple of His eye, He will always bless, protect and preserve them.

Of particular note to me was the fact that the letter was dated 3 Nisan 5770. That would make today 14 Nisan 5770. The question came to my mind, what event marked the beginning of the Jewish calendar? Wow, the rich history of Israel astounds me! Let me know if you know...

No comments: