Thursday, November 18, 2010

My McSteamy's Nip and Tuck

Reader's when we visit a plastic surgeon it is for one of two reasons: either we want to get rid of a little something, or we want to gain a little something.

Like any woman my *ahem* age, I can think of several things I would like to get rid of.  For starters, the crow's feet that are beginning to circle my eyes like the spokes on a bicycle tire, after that perhaps the bulge that has settled around my mid-section, and finally... let me see...probably the skin tag that no one can see, but I know its there.

But My McSteamy didn't use lasers or a blade to get rid of physically unpleasant stuff.  He used the Word of God, which is sharper than a double-edged sword, to help me get rid of some rather unsightly emotional scars.

First, there is anger, lingering anger otherwise known as regrets, resentment, unforgiveness, or even bitterness.  All of this had to go for me to be made emotionally whole.

One of the things I was angry about was that I didn't hear the name of Jesus until I was a young adult.  I had regrets over how I had lived before I knew Him.  I was also angry about the decision I had made to surrender my career to relocate across the country.  And then I was angry that my business failed, and then my marriage ended.

If you think about it, there is no end of reasons to be angry, if angry is what you want to be.  Well, when I had finally had enough of being angry and was ready to just accept that God is sovereign and not me, then it was easy.  All I had to do was agree with God that He was God and not me.

If you've ever seen Bruce Almighty, then you know this is a good thing.  A very good thing.

So I went to my McSteamy -- no appointment necessary -- and He said, "What don't you like about yourself?"

And I said, "All this anger has got to go!"

And he said, "I thought you'd never ask.  Just give it to me.  I'll take it."

"That's it?" I asked with incredulity.

"Well, yes, and no."  He said, "You have to leave it with me and not take it back.  And you have to choose to trust me every time you are tempted to pick it back up again."

"Thanks, what do I owe you?"

"Nothing, the debt has been paid."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Darilyn, You really caught my attention with this!! :) You have a gift for being open to the Holy Spirit for taking Christ into the world of loves and wounds. God Bless and I'll be praying for your ministry, Blessings! Margaret